Monday, May 20, 2013

GET OFF THE INTERNET AND GET A LIFE



The business of making money, it's a funny thing.

I remember before the internet was big, before I had my children, I started an art business. Back then I didn't have to know how to write a blog (I do love blogging, though) or the ins and outs of Face book, Twitter,  Pinterest, Linkedin.

Back in the old days I just painted a picture, drew a portrait, and, voila, I had business. Word of mouth was all that I relied on and the money was flowing in. How did this kind of offhanded marketing become successful? I was out more. I had a job and I met people the old fashioned way.

Now, I find I'm home all the time, sitting behind my computer blogging,  networking  and learning. This virtual world is filled with so much information it sometimes makes my head spin.

My friend Jen recently coaxed me away from my computer for a walk. It was a beautiful day and I almost missed it.  Jen set me straight; she told me to go out and get a life, get away from the computer, meet people and not be so bogged down with the whole internet thing. 

She had a point. I can tell you from my experience the first time I had an art business was much easier then today. 

What's different?

I forgot there was a real world out there.  I'm not saying the internet is bad, just that it has its place.

So look out world, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment