Sunday, May 12, 2013

Funny Memories Of My Beautiful Mother




Funny Memories Of My Beautiful Mother

Love, kisses, understanding, friendship and honesty come to mind when I think of my mother.  Although it is 6 years since her passing, the memories I have of her are still clear and vibrant. I thank God for my memories of her and all our good times.  Memories of long walks, coffee talk, lunches, love and laughter were shared over the years, and time can never take these memories away from me.  

I have been told my whole life that I look just like my mom, for which I am grateful. She was a beautiful woman inside and out and became more beautiful with each passing year. I inherited many things from my mom, one of them being her silliness. Silliness ran in my mom's family. Her whole family was afflicted with the sillies. When she and her sisters got together their stories of silly things they each did in the past would pour out. Like the time my Aunt Ro drove through the carwash with her window open.  They laughed so hard that by the end of the evening the laughter would turn into tears; laughing and crying, the kleenexes always came out. They were known for that. 

When my mom and I got together there was always some form of silliness that ensued when my sister was thrown into the mix; well anything could happen.

One of my favorite silly moments was the time my mom and sister visited me at my  home. When they arrived I was thrilled to see garbage bags my sister had  filled with baby clothes, since it was my turn to have a baby. We placed the bags in the kitchen and sat down for some coffee.  It wasn't long before we started smelling some terrible stench. "What's that smell?" my mother asked. "Cathy Ann (the name she used when making a point) what is that smell?" She began walking around, nose in the air, sniffing. She decided it was the refrigerator. "When was the last time you cleaned out this refrigerator?" she asked. It didn't take long before the refrigerator was thoroughly cleaned.  Satisfied with a job well done, my mother shut the refrigerator door, but the unpleasant odor was still there. 

We began searching for the  offending odor when my nose led me to the direction of one of the garbage bags. I gasped as I opened it, "Why did you bring me actual garbage in this garbage bag?" "What?" my sister and mother asked in unison, as their jaws dropped. 

How did this happen? My mother and sister traced it back to the curb of my mother's house. Th garbage bags filled of baby clothes were placed on the curb before loading them into the car. Evidently the neighbors garbage bag which was filled with their dogs excrement and garbage was also on the curb. They absent-mindedly put the neighbors bag of garbage and dog excrement in the car.  My sister and mother later admitted that they smelled something foul in the car, and thought each other was farting but didn't want to accuse the other. :O)

This led to uncontrollable laughter and a story that lasted a life-time. 

I miss my mother's silliness, laughter, smile, kindness, and most of all her love.


I love you mom and think of you not only on Mother's Day but every day and will never stop. xo

4 comments:

  1. Kathy,
    Beautiful picture and story. There's no telling if my Mom will see it.

    Happy Mothers Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melbourned,

      Thank you for your comment. I believe my mom still sees and knows everything :O)

      Delete
  2. We all love that story, Happy mothers day! keep this going Kathy. Much love from Florida, Aunt Adeline, Anne and Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Susan,

    Miss you guys, hope you had wonderul Mother's Day and give your mom a big kiss for me.

    ReplyDelete